Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Big Picture....


My heart is heavy this morning with the news that the last 4 miners in the West Virginia Mine Explosion did not survive, bringing the total of deaths to 29. So much sorrow for one community to bear. This hits close to home for me because my husband is an underground miner and we know all to well the risks involved with his profession. We have been glued to the news all week....just hoping....and praying....and waiting. We have had many discussions on the dangers and joys of coal mining. My husband would emphatically say, "I love my job as a coal miner." Miners are a special breed of men...they are strong and sound and brave and intent on doing the job, no matter the circumstances. My Dad is a retired miner as well and I grew up in a mining family. In our area, mining is life.....for our families, our community, our economical structure. Many oppose mining due to environmental concerns....to each is own, but to those of us who live here, without the income and subsequent spending of resources that mining provides for our citizens, our area would crumble. No matter which side you're on....this disaster is terribly sad and I am heartbroken for all the loss and pain that the Big Branch Coal community is suffering.

On a lighter note, I have a few cards to share today:

My "Sympathy" card was made using K&Co Ancestry Papers and Tag, Martha Stewart Ribbon and Ink, and Prima Flowers.

This card was made using Nature Preserve 100% recycled papers, K&Co Daisies, Martha Ribbon and Ink. I loved the simplicity of this card.

My final card was made using K&Co Ancestry Papers, Prima Flowers, Hollywood Raffia, Next Image Buttons and real antique lace from my stash.



Thanks for stopping by and I hope that your day is beautifully blessed!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Love your cards T...especially the lacy edge of the last card...Soooo pretty!

Annette said...

The coal mine tragedy just broke my heart, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone of the families. I had no idea your husband was a miner Tammie, he is a special person and you must be very proud of him. I know coal mining is important for communities and resources, God Bless every one of the miners who go to work every day in this very risky job.
I am totally in love with your cards, the last one is my favorite, it is so soft and shabby and the addition of the antique lace is gorgeous!

Audrey Pettit said...

That was a very tragic event, indeed, Tammie! So sad to see loss of life like that, regardless of how anyone would feel about mining in general. I can see why this would touch you very deeply.
Beautiful cards. I love what you've done with that K&Co paper. Love the lace trim going down the edge on the last card.

Unknown said...

We stayed glued to the TV also. If I was out of the house, when I came back in, the first thing I wanted to know was if there had been any news.
Love the cards T...like everyone...the 2rd is my favorite. Is that Butchie's lace?