Sunday, August 1, 2010

Beautiful Day


Yesterday was my son's wedding day...it was the special kind of day that I want to keep forever in my heart. It seems that time passes so swiftly....the day of his birth, his homecoming from the hospital, first bike ride, first day of Kindergarten, first day of high school, first kiss, first date,first heartbreak, first job, first car.....isn't it amazing that we always seem the remember the "firsts and lasts?" A few weeks ago, he spent his last night under my roof as a member of my household, from now on, he will be a guest/visitor, I did the last load of his laundry that I will do, cooked his last meal before he married, told him to clean his room for the last time (LOL).....so much living done between those firsts and lasts! And at the time, it seems so endless, so routine....and then when it is past, it seems so precious...the things that only a mother can really appreciate. As his Dad and I prepared all day on Friday, getting everything in order for the BIG DAY....I looked at him alot, REALLY looked at him. Who is this man that I once called "baby?" Well, he is handsome and funny, he loves people and they love him, he would rather find the good in every situation than ever even look for the bad, he is loyal, faithful and strong....he is a minister of God's Gospel and of that, I am most proud. Yesterday morning, he was my son...today he is a husband....wow....I sure hope that everything I have done for him has helped to prepare him to be all that she needs him to be...and I trust that he will. She completes him...during the ceremony, just looking at her brought tears to his eyes and to me, she was the most beautiful creation on earth because she was made for my son! Today, they are off on their honeymoon, seeing the sites and sharing the love....his Dad and I are alone again after almost 23 years. We realize that in 27 years of marriage, only four of those have been "just us." We prepare to settle in to our new roles as parents of an adult, married child. Our joke this week has been that now we're just his "neighbors." LOL....although I am sure that he will come knocking on the door for a million different reasons in the years to come, and although he will never read this, I just wanted to say..It has been my greatest honor to raise this fine young man and though my heart feels slightly tender, my eyes are dry....as I prepare to watch him begin the next step of his life's journey....knowing that he is safely in the heart of a young woman who loves him and a God who has ordained his every step...Godspeed Jay.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Beautiful pictures T!

Elizabeth said...

You look gorgeous and I am sure it was a blessed day for all of you!

Have a great week!
e.