Thursday, December 17, 2009

Altered Frames

I have been busy this week....all of the Christmas preparations....candy making and cookie baking....last minute shopping, wrapping, still tweaking my decorations, along with working. Shew....I am tired but pleasantly so.

I have been altering a few picture frames for gifts this week...and altering anything is one of my fave projects to do. I love taking something that is intended for one use and creating something totally different. Below, I made a set of Christmas frames using my favorite Christmas Bible verse..."For unto us a child is born..." and on the other, simply "Believe."



I then found a "four picture" frame and love what it became! I used my favorite sheet of Christmas Paper to cover the front, a coordinating sheet on the inside and embellished with Walmart Holiday Time stickers. The red reindeer and poinsetta set off the cream and gold ribbon. I had a wooden easel which matched perfectly. Viola, a gift for my friend for Christmas.





This is what my dining table looks like tonight.....any guesses?

My Dad was born in 1929, right in time to grow up in The Great Depression. Christmas at his house was nothing like it is for us and our children. They lived on a working farm, and believe me, they all worked! He was taken to the fields at 5 years old and taught to hoe with his parents and older brothers and sisters. Not much time for "childish" things when your entire family literally "works" to live. My Dad turned 80 years old this year, and he can only recall getting a toy for Christmas ONE time! Usually, they were given a "sock" (their version of a stocking) filled with fruit and nuts. THAT was their gifts...and like most things in those days, it was all food which they had harvested in the Fall. When our children were small, he began fixing all of his grandchildren a "treat bag" filled with fruit and candy, reminiscent of his childhood holidays. This year, we are all getting one, children and grandchildren alike. In a world so consumed with materialistic visions and goals, this may seem simple and silly. To us, it is a sweet reminder of where we come from and how deeply our "country" roots grow. Faith, family and food....much of our southern culture revolves around these three things. And although we do have gifts all wrapped in their pretty paper to exchange, my 22 year old son looked at me tonight and said, "you know, now that I'm not a little kid, this treat bag is my favorite part to Christmas at Papaw's. The fruit and candy taste so good when he gives it to us." Due to age and frail health, I had the privilege of shopping for and putting the bags together this year for my Dad. I thought of who he is and who he has taught us to be...and I said a little prayer of thanks for this strong, sweet man of faith who has given us everything that he has to give.
Aren't traditions wonderful....they anchor us...they comfort us....they tie to together from one generation to the next. If you haven't, why don't you start one this year with your family? It doesn't have to be elaborate....just heartfelt. Until next time...God bless you and those you love.

4 comments:

Annette said...

What a wonderful post Tammie! I love the tradition of the gift bag and how it started. How awesome that your dad has continued this tradition for many years and that you are helping to continue it. Your post really touched my heart, made me think of my sweet dad in WA and how much I love him. Thanks for sharing your story! Looks like you are going to get some snow this weekend! We have about 1/2 inch with sleet falling right now and will get the real snow early tomorrow morning. Have a wonderful weekend!

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, Tammie! Your post gave me chills. What a wonderful message you have shared with us all. I can relate quite a bit to your post. Both my parents grew up with little money on working farms in MN, and their Christmases were quite different from now. I feel so fortunate to have them here with me for the holidays. I hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas!
LOVE the frames, too!

Unknown said...

A trip down memory lane and what better person to take it with than Dad. Beautiful frames.

Amber said...

Matt's favorite part of Christmas at Papaw's are the fruit bags. I think they mean so much to him because it comes from Papaw's heart!
Hugs
Amber