Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sweet Saturday

I awoke feeling nostalgic today. Although it is a beautiful, sunny, HOT day here, this morning I heard the chirp of "fall bugs." It reminded me that Summer is winding down, it will soon be time for the school buses to roll and for nature to begin her slow decline into her restful season. It made me think of those golden days of childhood when each day seemed to last for a week and everything was easy in my world. I cannot think of anything sweeter than bare feet slapping a rhythm on a dirt road running to Granny and Poppy's house...or the smell of red, ripe strawberries being eaten over plain yellow cake, no icing needed when Granny made it....or the smell of honeysuckle that tickled your nose when the breeze blew gently past. Ah, childhood....how quickly it passes....and yet gives us anchor for the rest of our lives. Sometimes, I'd like to go back, just for a day or two....just to "feel" that again.

These two cards were made with my childhood memories in mind. Seed catalog time was special to the daughter and grandaughter of gardners. When they began looking at them, it was soon to be that magical, special, sweet time of spring and summer when the earth brought forth for our family a wonderful bounty of all things good and good for us. We lived simply....and beautifully. I was well loved, well fed and well taught that hard work in the summer meant easy living in the winter. Watching Dad and my Poppy work diligently in their gardens all summer long and then seeing how hard Mom and my Granny worked to fill freezers and pantry shelves, it made me appreciative of the love and care with which they took care of me. These cards brought all of those emotions and memories to the surface, and once again, I visited those golden days, if only in my mind.






These were made using Vintage Antique Stickers, NRN designs cardstock and Word Inspiration Stickers, Punch Studio dimensional stickers, and Martha Stewart fall leaves.


While we were vacationing in Pigeon Forge Tennessee recently, we happened upon the most wonderful restaurant, Mama's Farmhouse. It is dedicated to pure southern comfort foods and plenty of them. They serve you, buffet style, at your table, much like Granny used to do. For supper, they brought you vegetable soup to begin, followed by 3 meats, 6 vegetables, biscuits and cornbread, peach cobbler and banana pudding. WOW! It was unbelievable! Pure southern fare at its best and served with a smile and a story or two by the friendliest people. My husband asked if he could purchase a season pass, to which they replied, "No, we don't have those, but breakfast begins at 8." Yep, you guessed it. We were back at 8 am for breakfast! It was a great place and the memory is almost a sweet as the food.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

T you are still a writer eventho you pretend to be a nurse. Loved your post and YEP...brought tears to my eyes. We were rich beyond measure but not with money...it was love, family, hard work, and deep dedication. Wonderful life even if we didn't appreciate it then.

Amber said...

Love your cards T, they are so vintage and just wonderful! And your LO was beautiful too! You just reminded me, I want to plant strawberries next year...need to start doing homework on the best time to plant them. Even though I don't like eating strawberries, I'd love to grow and pick them!

Annette said...

I loved your post Tammie and reading about your childhood memories, you are a great writer! I loved your story also about the restaurant and the comment about the season pass, the food sounds really yummy!