Saturday, February 21, 2009

It Takes A Long Time To Grow An Old Friend

When I saw this tag among new scrapbook supplies that my niece, Amber, gave me for my birthday, I immediately thought of the truth of this phrase. "It takes a long time to grow an old friend." It brought to mind my dear friend Jill, who lost a valiant battle with pancreatic cancer last May. Jill was one of those "old friends" that I will probably never find another to fill the void left by her death. Nor would I even want to.

Jill was one of my closest friends for about 8 years, although we were acquaintances for 17. Before I really got to know and love her for myself, I knew and loved her as my young son's Sunday School teacher. She played a vital role in leading him to a real relationship with Jesus Christ. (Now, years later, he is an ordained Minister.) I will never forget the day that my Mother died, Jill spent the entire day with my family....offering to do anything, yet comforting with her mere presence. When I had an emergency appendectomy, there she was bending over my stretcher on my way to surgery and praying my safety and healing. Last February, my Dad had a heartattack, and although terminal at that time herself, she telephoned me nearly everyday at the hospital to check on his progress. Jill was one of those "God Sent" people who leave fingerprints all over your life just by being a part of it. This tag made me think of her and all of the sweetness that she brought to my life and to my family. "It takes a long time to grow and old friend"......why don't you get in touch with one of yours today and tell them what they mean in your life. What better way to brighten someone's day?



And although it really does take a long time to grow an old friend...the time and effort are very worthwhile. Here's to you Jill. I am sure that the Son shines brightly where you are!


1 comments:

Audrey Pettit said...

Ooh, I'm almost teary-eyed over your post today, Tammie! I'm so very touched by the story of your good friend, Jill. So sorry you've lost her, yet so happy that she was once in your life. I love your card. So very pretty. I have such a hard time using the color purple. Very inspired by this.