Friday, October 31, 2008

You Can Judge This Book By It's Cover



I was up early this morning to take my Dad to an appointment and then we enjoyed breakfast together. What a sweet memory this will make :) He talked alot about his childhood and the foods his mother would prepare....I sat and listened and sort of felt that he was giving me a glimpse of the little boy he used to be. He talked about the Great Depression years, which began when he was one month old. Growing up in those times, he has always had a great appreciation for the simple things, the important things. I think I get that from him. Watching him eat and listening to his stories was somewhat bittersweet, afterall, Dad is 79 years old. I have been blessed by his steadfast presence all of my life.
Yesterday, I made this cute little Fall Memories Book. I bought the chipboard book because it was on sale for 30 cents!!! Who could pass that up? As I pondered what to put it, I realized that I have had a special Fall....being off work and having the time to cook and bake; scrapbook and craft; take long walks and pet newborn puppies; to sit by the fire and talk with my husband and to spend extra time with by son; to meditate on the Great God that I serve. What a blessed woman that I am. That's what this book is all about, just snippets of what this time has meant to me. I have a feeling that in the years to come, I will take it out and reminisce, and with a smile, revisit this special, special time....of falling leaves, carving pumpkins, cool evenings and a warm meal with those that I love the most.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

In case anyone comes across this blog and wonders, Tammie and I share the same DAD. He has worked so hard all his life but to him and us WE ALL are truly blessed.I have tears running down my face just reading your post. We don't know why and shouldn't even question it but God has given you and me both the same kind of year with Dad. We've shared snippets here and there of the way life was way back when. These snippets are already our treasures. Thanks Dad, for sharing. I hope T and I are able to preserve this knowledge and pass on to our kids what love, life ,and God are all about. Thanks T for sharing.

Amber said...

Beautiful post T. Papaw is that wonderful. Out of everyone in the world, I have my best conversations with Papaw. He understands me better than anyone. Your Fall book is beautiful, u will have plenty to put in it!

Unknown said...

The paper I used was from you..THANK you very much. It's two sided and everything just matched perfectly even the little flower and none of it was together. I want to make large, bold cards that get ones attention. Somday.

Unknown said...

check out this blog....beautiful...http://annette-paperbistro.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Beautiful book and an even better post about your dad!